I have been a practising and fully qualified counsellor for 13 years and Occupational Therapist for 20 years. During this time, I have provided counselling within both NHS mental health services and voluntary services to adults, young people and children. This has given me substantial experience of working with a variety of emotional difficulties, mental health issues and neurodevelopmental conditions. I am both confident and competent to work with a variety of issues across the age range. At present, I work within Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) in the NHS, having worked in this field for well over a decade.
My varied experience means that I am able take an integrative approach to my work. This includes having the ability to use a range of strategies as appropriate, such as cognitive behavioural techniques, family work, systemic thinking, play based approaches and creative techniques. It also means that I have a solid understanding of the impact of neurodiversity, trauma and attachment on individual development.
I currently teach on the Foundations of Human Relations and Counselling course run by Human Development Scotland, Glasgow and am a COSCA approved trainer in their Certificate in Counselling Skills.
My professional membership
I am a registered member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (MBACP). This is the leading regulatory body within the field and means that I comply with their code of conduct and their guidelines for safe and ethical practice. This includes treating what we discuss in sessions confidentially, provided neither you nor anyone else is at risk of harm.
As an Occupational Therapist, I am also a registered member of the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) meaning that I meet with their standards regarding levels of training, experience and ethical practice.
My professional qualifications
- Masters in Psychoanalytic Observation and Reflective Practice: Therapeutic Work with Children and Young People (University of Strathclyde) – 2018
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (The Garnethill Centre, Glasgow) – 2005
- Certificate in Psychodynamic Counselling (The Garnethill Centre, Glasgow) – 2003
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Hons) in Occupational Therapy (University College of Ripon and York St John) – 1998
Continued professional development – short courses
I have undertaken a number of trainings, some of which are listed below. Please be aware that this is not an exhaustive list.
- STORM Suicide Prevention Training – all four modules
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Incredible Years Parenting Programme
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS)
- Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders (DISCO)
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)